Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Following the Dream

Well, I got a harmonica job, begun to play,
Blowin' my lungs out for a dollar a day.
I blowed inside out and upside down.
The man there said he loved m' sound,
He was ravin' about how he loved m' sound;
Dollar a day's worth.

-- Talkin' New York - Bob Dylan - 1962

Autobiographical account from Dylan of his first days in New York City. Though I guess it's meant to speak to how rough the scene was, I find the lyrics and idea romantic, the whole notion of following your dream through playing the dingy cellars and small cafes of downtown New York. Of course its easier to see it being romantic when you know Dylan would become one of the greatest musicians of all time but it seems Dylan knew he'd be big from the start. I hope to have the same courage of conviction someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment