Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mrs. Henry, I'm ready for the broom

"City's just a jungle, more games to play
Trapped in the heart of it, trying to get away
I was raised in the country, I been workin' in the town
I been in trouble ever since I set my suitcase down"

Mississippi - Tell Tale Signs (Time out of Mind Outtake) - 2008

I recall the first time I left DC, I let out a huge sigh of relief on the drive up 95 to my hometown. "Glad I'm out of that mess, think I left just in time" I said to myself. And then a few years pass and as life goes, maggie moved me out of the cozy confines of new york city and back into the dreaded swamp of the district.

Somehow foolishly I thought maybe a few years older I'd take a better shine to the fear and loathing of politics. No dice, the depravity down here is at a sinister level never to be tempted by any sane person with less then 2 masters degrees and more then a shtickel of asshole repellent. The Douchebags, of course, love the place.

It's where the term inorganic probably originated, the city streets themselves designed and placed just so, not a stop sign out of place. But like the swamp the city was formed upon, the place just stinks of inauthenticity. The people are very fake, very unoriginial and utterly obsessed with themselves and their gooberific fight for the smallest curmodgeon of self importance.

In a recent interview Dylan noted, "Politics is for the well heeled and well groomed. The immacuatly dressed." Well, I'm none of those things. I pine for the long dusty road home. Til then, just gonna keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment