Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Talking to me?

"While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in."

It's Alright Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding) - Bringing it All Back Home - 1965

A friend asked me to send along some "angry" Dylan lyrics to help her escape and find some solace in a bitter twist of fate. Thankfully angry Dylan songs are like Dylan protest songs, that is, by his own account they're all protest songs (and I'd add they're all angry).

What hit me in unexpectedly was my second time reading through this verse and realizing it may just describe yours truly but perhaps that's just external pressure on all of us. Its OK to bend to society's pliers... just gotta make sure you don't break.

No comments:

Post a Comment