Monday, January 12, 2009

Captain Arab's Pick

Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drownin' in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothin' but affection for all those who've sailed with me

Mississippi - Love and Theft - 2001

Many iconic artists are great for a decade or two and legendary artists are great for three, but Dylan crafted this gem in his fourth decade (nearly his fifth!).

His much maligned late career voice is clear and expressive and really I don't think he could make this song work earlier in his career. It has that feeling of infinite experience, of a man who's been through it all and just keeps on keeping on. Its the best explanation of why he keeps performing at such a breakneck speed with so little to accomplish, like MJ in basketball, its his element, where things makes sense and he can communicate who he is and what he believes in.

As for this lyric, it encapsulates my place in life right now perfectly. For better or worse I'm in the District of Columbia (moving from the east village), a place I don't really belong but I feel light and free for I can see the depth of possibility ahead of me and the friends I have are as good as it gets. If I'm going to go down, I'm atleast happy with the boat I'm on.

No comments:

Post a Comment