Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Parents Just Don't Understand

"Although the masters make the rules,
For the wise men and the fools,
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to"

It's Alright Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding)-Bringing It All Back Home-1965

Of course this is one of Dylan's most complex and discussed poems/songs. So many symbolic interpretations and political analysis can be ripped out of every line, however for me this song reflects a personal struggle in satisfying the generations before me. Every time I am asked the golden question "What will you do with your life?", these lines are my response. In fact its the only response that will keep people off my back because for a moment they realize and agree with me that we are all fucked in the end so you should live your life the way you want to. Being under the radar is simply the way to go, though it may break your mother's heart you never became a doctor or lawyer, at least you have control of your own soul, something Americans have sacrificed to be one of the Jones'.  I will not be a pawn, and if I have to I will destroy the system before destroying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment